I'm wild about finding ways to add superfoods like kale and beets to my diet. And when I find a way to sneak them into a drink that my kids will actually drink, I get really nerd-like excited.
That's why today I am sharing with you a recent favorite of ours, the Purple Superfood Smoothie.
Most of you already know how much of a powerhouse of nutrition kale is. It contains high amounts of vitamin A, C, K, Iron, Calcium, and other vital nutrients. It's also good for your heart, is high in antioxidants, fiber and is very anti-inflammatory.
But are you aware of the crazy long list of health benefits of beets or beetroots? Let me just name a few for you. (1)
- Improve liver health and function - A healthy liver helps your body to naturally detox.
- Prevents against certain cancers - Studies have positively correlated beet consumption to protecting against skin, lung and colon cancers.
- Naturally high in folate - This makes beets the perfect vegetable for pregnancy, as folate helps to develop a healthy spinal column.
- High in vitamins A and C
- Naturally high in Iron - Prevention of anemia.
- Boost energy
- They are a natural Aphrodisiac - High levels of boron are known to boost the production of sexual hormones (which can increase fertility, libido, sperm mobility)
- High in Potassium- The potassium content of beets can prevent blood clots from forming, lower your blood pressure & ward off strokes.
- Support detox - The betalin pigments in beets support the bodies detoxification process.
- Decrease inflammation in the body
Okay, okay. You get the point, beets are an often neglected superhero of super-foods. Bottom line here, find a way to eat more of these little guys. Be warned though! They will stain everything in sight, including your ungloved hands and pretty white cutting board. In my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the stains.
So here it is, I hope you love it as much as I do!
2-3 dates soaked overnight
small handful of cashews soaked overnight
2-3 stalks of kale
1 handful spinache
1/2 medium beet
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup coconut water
1/2 cup nut milk
Blend all ingredients together in high powered blender until smooth.